A diverse legal field encompassing marriage, divorce, child custody, and adoptionNavigating a denial of visitation/custody in a North Carolina divorce case involves understanding the delicate balance between parental rights and the child’s well-being. From the potential repercussions of denying visitation to the nuanced considerations when modifying parenting plans, this reality intersects with both the complicated legal system and an emotional landscape. Read on for general guidance intended to help you as we discuss:

  • When it might be acceptable to deny visitation to the non-custodial parent.
  • Situations that warrant an ex parte emergency order.
  • Whether you can relocate with joint custody.

When Can You Deny Visitation To The Non-Custodial Parent In North Carolina?

In North Carolina, denying visitation to the non-custodial parent is generally not advisable unless there are justifiable reasons and the court has given express permission to do such. If there is a court order in place outlining the custody arrangements, failing to abide by the order without a valid excuse can lead to serious legal consequences. Acceptable justifications for denying visitation might include:

  • Situations where there is a risk to the child’s mental or physical well-being.
  • Concerns about the child being taken out of the jurisdiction without consent.
  • Evidence suggesting that the child may not be returned.

Having a cold, flu, or even COVID-19 is not sufficient grounds to deny visitation, especially if there are specific orders addressing such situations. Courts may expect parents to make joint decisions regarding a child’s health and to follow the custody schedule as outlined in the court order.

It’s vital for parents to communicate and, if necessary, seek permission from the court before deviating from the custody order. If there are significant life events that may impact the custody schedule, some orders may include provisions for handling such situations. However, if the order does not explicitly allow for deviations, seeking legal advice and court approval is recommended before denying visitation.

What Is The Punishment For Contempt Of Court?

Contempt of court can result in various punishments, and the severity often depends on the nature and seriousness of the contemptuous behavior. The typical punishments for contempt of court include fines and, in more severe cases, imprisonment. The fine imposed may vary, and the amount can increase based on the gravity of the contemptuous actions.

In cases where the contempt is deemed serious, a judge may decide to impose a jail sentence. The length of imprisonment can also vary but is generally limited to a certain number of days. For more serious or repeated contempts, the judge may decide to sentence the individual to up to 120 or 150 days in jail.

What Is An Ex Parte Emergency Order In North Carolina?

An ex parte emergency order in North Carolina allows one party to seek an emergency court order without the other being present. This type of order is typically requested in urgent situations where immediate action is necessary to protect a child.

The term “ex parte” means that the order is granted on behalf of one party without the other party’s presence or input at the time of the initial request. Common situations that may warrant an ex parte emergency order include:

Physical or Mental Danger to the Child

If there is evidence or a belief that the child is in immediate danger, the requesting party may seek an emergency order to protect the child.

Risk of Abduction

If there is a credible threat that one parent may attempt to flee the jurisdiction with the child and deny the other parent access, an emergency order may be sought to prevent such actions.

The ex parte emergency order is temporary and is designed to address the immediate concerns until a more comprehensive hearing can be held with both parties present. After the initial order is granted, a follow-up hearing is typically scheduled where both parties have an opportunity to present their arguments, and the court can make a more informed decision on a long-term resolution.

How Far Can A Parent Move With Joint Custody In North Carolina?

How far a parent with joint custody in North Carolina can move depends on various factors. There is a lot of nuance to this issue, but as a general rule, you can typically move within 20 miles of the original jurisdiction. The criteria that go into this determination include:

Court Order

If there is a court order regarding custody and visitation, the terms of that order will dictate whether and how a parent can move. Some court orders include restrictions on how far a parent can move without the court’s permission.

Feasibility of Visitation

If a move doesn’t disrupt the existing visitation schedule and both parents can still reasonably follow the court order, it will likely be seen as more favorable by the judge. However, if the move makes visitation difficult or impractical, it could very well be contested.

Out-of-State Moves

Moving out of state may trigger additional legal considerations, especially if it interferes with the other parent’s rights. In some cases, it could lead to a modification of the custody arrangement.

Impact on Child’s Well-being

Courts generally prioritize the best interests of the child. If a move significantly impacts the child’s education, healthcare, or overall well-being, the court may scrutinize the decision more closely and not allow it.

Notification Requirements

In some cases, the moving parent may be required to provide advance notice to the other parent or seek court approval before making a significant move.

Emergency Provision

If a move is sudden and the other parent believes it could interfere with their parental rights, they may seek emergency court intervention.

It’s crucial for parents to understand the specifics of their custody arrangement and seek legal advice if considering a move. If there’s a court order in place, compliance with its terms is essential, and any proposed changes should be discussed with the other parent or addressed through the legal system.

Can Job Relocation Or Changes In A Parent’s Work Schedule Affect The Need For Altering A Parenting Plan?

Changes in a parent’s work schedule or job relocation can potentially affect the need for altering a parenting plan. However, it’s important to clarify some things surrounding such changes.

Courts typically consider modifications to a parenting plan when there has been a significant change in circumstances affecting the child’s best interests. This could include changes in a parent’s work schedule, job relocation, or other factors that impact the child, but not all changes in these areas necessarily rise to the level necessary to justify making any changes.

The focus is on how the proposed changes will affect the child’s well-being. If a parent’s work schedule or job relocation would substantially impact the child’s routine, stability, or access to both parents, it could be a valid reason for seeking a modification.

A parent generally has the right to relocate for employment opportunities. If the move affects the custodial arrangements and the rights of the other parent, it may only mean the relocating parent forfeits custody of the child.

Parents may be able to communicate and agree on modifications to the parenting plan without court intervention. If both parents can reach a consensus that is in the child’s best interests, they may submit the agreed-upon changes to the court for approval.

If there is a dispute or if the parents cannot reach an agreement, the parent seeking the modification may need to file a request with the court. The court will then evaluate the proposed changes and determine whether they align with the child’s best interests.

Do Changes In The Child’s Age Or Developmental Needs Require Adjusting A Parenting Plan?

Changes in the child’s age or developmental needs can necessitate adjustments to a parenting plan. Some common ways in which these changes might impact the need for modifications include:

Shift in Interests and Activities

As children grow, their interests and activities often change. As a result, a parenting plan that worked well when a child was younger may need adjustments as they become teenagers with different hobbies, school commitments, or extracurricular activities.

Educational Needs

Changes in a child’s academic performance or educational needs can also significantly waver over time. If a child requires additional support, tutoring, or has new educational challenges, this may necessitate modifications to the parenting plan to accommodate these needs.

Social and Emotional Development

The social and emotional needs of a child evolve over time. For instance, a child entering adolescence may have different social dynamics and emotional needs that should be considered when amending a parenting plan.

Independence and Decision-Making

Older children may want more say in their own schedules and activities. A parenting plan that didn’t account for this because the child was young may need adjustments to reflect the child’s growing independence and ability to express their preferences.

School and Schedule Changes

Transitioning from elementary to middle school, or from middle school to high school, often comes with changes in schedules, extracurricular commitments, and social activities. These changes may require modifications to the parenting plan to ensure it remains practical and in the child’s best interests.

Communication Preferences

As children become older, they may have preferences regarding communication methods and frequency with each parent. A parenting plan should consider these preferences to maintain healthy parent-child relationships.

It’s crucial parents stay attuned to their child’s needs and communicate effectively to address any necessary adjustments to the parenting plan. If needed, seeking legal advice and potentially requesting a modification through the court can help ensure that the parenting plan continues to meet the best interests of the child.

For more information on Denial Of Visitation/Custody In An NC Divorce Case, an initial consultation is your next best step. Get the information and legal answers you are seeking by calling (252) 371-0127 today.

Lusby Law P.A.

Call For An Assessment Of Your Needs Call Us Now
Wilson (252) 371-0127

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U